COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE 12TH NATIONAL DELEGATES’ CONFERENCE OF FORUM OF STATE INDEPENDENT
ELECTORAL COMMISSIONS OF NIGERIA (FOSIECON) HELD ON 7TH – 10TH MAY, 2019 AT JOS, PLATEAU STATE.
The Forum of State Independent Electoral Commissions of Nigeria is an umbrella body of the 36 state electoral management bodies (FOSIECON) saddled with the responsibility of organizing and conducting elections into the position of Chairmen and Councillors in the 774 Local Government Councils across the Country.
The need to organize free, fair and credible elections for the purpose of good governance at the grassroots level informed the desire for the 2019 Jos Conference.
The Conference delegates comprised the Chairmen, Members and Secretaries to the State Independent Electoral Commissions. Twenty seven (27) states were in attendance. The Conference was declared open by His Excellency, the Governor of Plateau State Rt. Hon. Barr. Simon Bako Lalong
Goodwill messages were delivered by the representatives of both the International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) and European Centre for Electoral Support (ECES).
The theme of the Conference was “Local Government Elections in Nigeria: Lessons from the 2019 General Elections”. A number of
papers were presented at the conference, including,
(1) The role of stakeholders in Election delivery in Nigeria: Local Government Council Elections Experience
(2) Civil Society Organizations and the search for SIECs Independence
(3) Donor Agencies and sustainable Democratic Culture in Nigeria
(4) Electronic Voting in Nigeria, Kaduna State Experience and the way forward
(5) Election Peace Building Initiatives in Nigeria
After three (3) days of serious brain storming by delegates, the Forum hereby makes the following recommendations
To strengthen FOSIECON through the establishment of a formal secretariat and an Administrative structure for the harmonious pursuit of the goals and initiatives of FOSIECON
- To harmonise the Legal Framework establishing the 36 States Independent Electoral Commissions
- To take constructive steps to place the 36 states SIECs on “First Line Charge” for the purpose of achieving financial autonomy
- To resuscitate and re-constitute the INEC-SIEC Interactive Consultative Committee for the purpose of reawakening the tenets of the existing Memorandum of Understanding
- To increase collaboration with Donor Agencies and Civil Society Organisation to serve as arrow-head for advocacy programs in favour of real independence and autonomy of SIECs
- To Increase collaboration with stakeholders and other institutions involved in electoral process in the country
- To foster more collaboration between FOSIECON, the Executive arm of Government to enable effective action on Electoral Reforms for SlECs
- Steps should be taken by SIEC/FOSIECON to transit from manual to Electronic voting for the purpose of entrenching transparency and enhance credibility
- That States yet to conduct the Local Government Elections should embrace democratic ethos and conduct their elections
The Forum commend the Plateau State Government and the Plateau State Independent Electoral Commission for hosting the Conference and in the same vein appreciate the Kaduna State Independent Electoral Commission (KADSIECOM) for pioneering the Electronic Voting System in Nigeria and admonish other States to emulate and embrace the technology.
Hon Justice I. N Akomas (rtd) Hon Fabian A. Ntung
Chairman FOSIECON Secretary FOSIECON